Wales in Cinema & TV
Wales is the location and backdrop of many international films. Included "Doctor Who", the most iconic film series in British History. Not only filmed at locations in South Wales, like Margam Castle and some other known or less known locations, but also revived by a Welsh men!
Some few of the films with Wales as a backdrop…
- Mr Turner (2014)
- Pride (2014)
- Snow White and the Huntsman (2012)
- Resistance (2011)
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
- Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
- Hunky Dory (2011)
- Patagonia (2011)
- Ironclad (2011)
- Clash of the Titans (2010)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt.1 & Pt. 2 (2010 & 2011)
- Robin Hood (2010)
- Submarine (2010)
- The Edge of Love (2008)
- Abraham's Point (2008)
- Half Light (2006)
- The Libertine (2005)
- Tomb Raider 2 – Lara Croft and the Cradle of Life (2003)
- Die Another Day (2002)
- The World is Not Enough (1999)
- Twin Town (1997)
- An American Werewolf in London (1981)
- The longest-running science fiction television show in the world, Doctor Who, was revived by Welsh writer and producer Russell T Davies for BBC Wales and has won many awards, and is filmed in South Wales.
- The Dragonslayer (1980)
- King Baggot (1913)
- Ivanhoe (1913)
Filmed on location in Wales, but set elsewhere...
- 1958: The Inn of the Sixth Happiness, featuring Ingrid Bergman, Curd Jurgens, and Robert Donat, was filmed on location in Wales in Gwynedd and Beddgelert, but is set in China.
- 1968: The Lion in Winter, featuring Welsh actors Anthony Hopkins and Timothy Dalton in their first feature films, was filmed on location in Wales but is set in France.
- 1969: Carry on up the Khyber is the sixteenth Carry On film, released in 1968. It stars Carry On regulars Sid James, Kenneth Williams, Charles Hawtrey, Joan Sims, Bernard Bresslaw and Peter Butterworth. The film is, in part, a spoof of "Kiplingesque" movies and television series about life in the British Empire, both contemporary and from earlier, Hollywood, periods. Scenes on the North West Frontier were filmed beneath the summit of Snowdon in North Wales.
- 1981: An American Werewolf in London's early scenes set in Yorkshire were filmed in the Brecon Beacons.
- 1983: The Keep with Juergen Prochnow is set in Romania, but was actually shot in Llanberis and Blaenau Ffestiniog in Gwynedd, North Wales.
- 1992: The Princess and the Goblin was the first animated featured produced in Wales. It was jointly a Hungarian animated film.
- 1995: First Knight starring Sean Connery, Richard Gere and Julia Ormond, was directed by Jerry Zucker. It is the story of King Arthur filmed in Snowdonia.
- 1997: Part of Mortal Kombat: Annihilation was filmed on location at Parys Mountain on the island of Anglesey.
- 2000: The Miracle Maker, starring Ralph Fiennes as Jesus, was filmed in Cardiff, Wales. It was directed by Derek W. Hayes and Stanislav Sokolov.
- 2006: Half Light, starring Demi Moore and directed by Craig Rosenberg, is set in Scotland but was shot on location in Wales.
- 2003: Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life, starring Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft, was shot on location in the mountains of Snowdonia but set in China.
- 2011: Ironclad was the first film to be shot at Dragon International Film Studios in Llanilid.